Monday, May 13, 2013

She brings light into my life and laughter to my heart.

I hate to keep just writing about my dad, and I will write about other stuff eventually.  I have so much to write about.  I'm one lucky girl.  I've written of all the letters that my dad has written me.  What I've never said is that for each letter my dad wrote, I also have the matching ones from my mom, plus lots more that she's written over the years.  I'm loaded down with letters.  I wouldn't have it any other way.  And now, without even requesting it, my husband writes me letters- more notes than actual letters, but nonetheless, thoughtful words.  He just leaves them sitting out for me, and it fills my heart with thankfulness.  Not a lot of people, including myself, take the time to write notes and letters anymore.  And these letters- that's something that'll last a lifetime.  Something I will always cherish. 
I just got my special necklace in the mail that is made from the words of one of my dad's letters.  I think he would think that it's the neatest thing.  He would be delighted to know how much his words have meant to me lately; how they've comforted me.  He would love that he's been able to soothe my soul in some way. 
When times get stressful, that's when I want to talk to him.  When I'm tired and feel unworthy, that's when I want to hear his voice.  When I fail, that's when I want him to say, "Ashley Nicole, quit beating yourself up."  When I'm worn out, that's when I want to be able to vent to him. I miss that. I'll just read his letters instead. 
This letter was a Valentine's Card he gave me one year.  I never had a boyfriend in high school, and I would get so sad thinking I was missing out.   Looking back, I'm so glad it never happened.  I didn't miss out on anything at all.  I'm so glad that I had parents that were so concerned with the choices I made and that made their expectations so clear I knew not to mess with them.  I'm so thankful that they set boundaries.  I love this card.  It's what every girl feels at some point, and at the time, I'm sure I just rolled my eyes and thought, "Whatever, Dad."  But now I treasure his words.  And the time that he took to write them.  So thankful.
Ashley,
It seems like yesterday when I held you in my arms and wandered what kind of young lady you would grow up to be.  A father could not be blessed more than me.  You are my very special gift from God.  All of my hopes and dreams for you have come true.  I know sometimes you wonder why God hasn't led some young man to you, but I know why.  You are a treasure from God and He will bring you that very special young man one day and when that day comes, all the waiting will be worthwhile.  In my eyes you are and always will be my little girl.  You will never be without your father's love.  Never will I be too busy for you. I am here.  I love you so very much and I am so very proud of my daughter.  She brings light into my life and laughter to my heart. Always remember, I am here just for you.
I will love you forever,
Dad
I pray that as I continue on my journey of life that I can bring light into people's lives and laughter to their hearts.  I love those words.

No comments:

Post a Comment